We are delighted to release our 2018-2019 Sustainability Report, which details our performance against the environmental, economic and social issues that we believe matter most to our business and our stakeholders.
Our fourth annual Sustainability Report prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standard, highlights the impact of eight material issues we believe matters most to our business and stakeholders, and supports the case for putting in place a sustainability agenda.
Key achievements include:
- Positive economic performance with a 13% increase in annual turnover, which is 15% above our 5-year average for the 2018-19 financial year.
- Continued reduction in our environmental impact, including:
- -35% reduction Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions per person in our office in the last 5 years
- -13% reduction in energy used per person in our office
- -36% reduction in office water consumption versus last year
- -13% less office waste sent to landfill this year.
- Achieving ISO 45001:2018 accreditation – an internationally recognised health and safety management standard
Responsible procurement continued to be an area of focus, and we are proud to report that 41% of materials for our client projects, and 87% of total purchases for own office met our sustainability procurement criteria.
Continuing our commitment to giving back to the local community, this year, 63% of Summertown employees participated in at least one volunteering activity, spending 273 total hours volunteering. We are also encouraged by the results from our Health and Wellbeing Programme with 85% of our employees reporting they feel more energised.
Detailed in the new report are our new JOURNEY2030 long-term sustainability ambitions, which cover the areas we believe we can have the most impact on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and regional UAE sustainability ambitions. The three new goals are: deliver 100% sustainable projects, improve workplace happiness and well-being, and achieve zero waste to landfill.
To find out more click here to download the full report from our sustainability page.